Home

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Duck Egg Blue French Provincial Desk





This French Provincial desk was so much fun to restore and paint! My friend gave me an inspiration picture she had found on Pinterest...


She wanted me to try and achieve this look with a desk that she had had for years but never got around to doing anything with.
I stripped the drawers and sanded them well, however, the wood that was used wasn't the greatest, so when I applied the stain, the coverage wasn't as even.  However, I really liked the drawers looking so rustic and thankfully so did my friend!

Because the top was going to get a lot of use, and it was a laminate, I used Benjamin Moore's Advance paint in White Dove.  I used a eggshell finish. I applied 3 coats and then I applied a polyurethane as well just in case. I don't want that baby to chip!








I used Behr paint and primer in one in Gray Morning flat finish to give me that duck egg blue color.











This was the before, the legs needed to be repaired as well.






I left the hardware alone and didn't paint it.  I liked the distressing that was already on there, and thought it went well with the rustic feel of the drawers.






I used white acrylic paint to paint the foliage detail on the sides.   I just used a very fine brush to make tendrils and vines.






I polyurethaned the entire piece except for the drawers which I used Johnson's paste wax on.















3 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece! Thanks for sharing the paint colors. And i love the so pretty grain of the bare wood drawers. Would you tell how you repaired that front leg? I have a piece that was going to the dump b/c i can't figure out how to replace the large missing part on one leg. If you tell me how you did this one, maybe i can save the piece. I'm a new follower. Glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Marje! I'm so glad you found my blog! Thank you and glad to meet you too! Thankfully, the customer had kept the pieces that were missing on this desk so all I had to do was really just glue them back on. I used a wood filler to fill in any gaps, and then sanded and painted it to match the rest of the piece. You could try making a mold of the piece that's missing on your piece and use a Bondo type product to Fill in the mold and then attach it to your piece. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I know this post is old but how did you strip the drawers - was it just paint? I have a desk just like this that I want to redo!

    ReplyDelete